February 10, 2015 – 1 PM
Attendees: Alan Woo, Roxanne Kalenborn, Marie Shockley, Clare Asquith, Jakob Roberts, Nicole Askin, Alex Kuskowski, Lauren Washuk, Nichole DeMichelis, Jenna Dufour
AMALA – Should we keep the name or rename to emphasize our association with ARLIS/NA?
Benefits of the change:
- Makes clear to students and professionals our connection to ARLIS/NA, including our purpose and activities.
- Aids in networking as we would become more immediately recognizable outside SLAIS.
- Supports sustainability of the group.
- Focusing in on art librarianship helps to focus energies. Worry that we are not giving enough attention to music librarianship because of art librarianship majority in group.
- Might alienate membership focused on music librarianship
- Encourage membership to branch off into group devoted to music librarianship.
- Create a name that combines ARLIS with MLA or CAML.
2. Upcoming events:
- Wikipedia Edit-Athon – workshops and event on International Women’s Day. Events at UBC organized by Vanessa Kam from Art, Music and Architecture Library, and a staff member from AHVA. Great way to network with AHVA faculty, sharpen coding skills and advocate for equal representation in Wikipedia.
- Art in fiction/nonfiction bookclub – organized by VPL and the VAG, the first meeting is February 17th. Meetings will be held at the VAG Annex Workshop.
- Geocaching - Nichole has a project plan drafted. Will begin first stages with the goal of having events during the Summer.
- Art museum library tour – Clare is still planning this.
- Alex will accept all events related correspondence and communicate when needed.